e

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Another Geeky Update

Well, let's see. Some interesting things have happened since last update (Last year. Sorry about that). About my netbook, as it turns out, the 8 GB SSD wasn't working out as well as originally planned. SSDs are much slower than standard HDDs in terms of read/write speeds (especially the cheap ones). So, I reset the device back to factory specs (I put the original OEM install of Windows XP back on the machine) and donated the netbook to a youngster I know with a Barbie Web site addiction. :-) Not without installing a Web filter on it first, of course. Out there be monsters.

So, I bought a new netbook with a standard hard drive. Other improvements include a slightly larger screen (the old netbook was 8.9" whereas the new one is 10") and a longer lasting battery (six cells instead of three). Also, since the change, Ubuntu upgraded twice. Last October I moved from 9.04 to 9.10. Lot of nice improvements to the system there. It runs much faster and more smoothly than before. Possibly the most negative change I could find about it was that I could no longer organize the Favorites list in the Netbook Launcher. There's actually a way around this, but it a pain to use. Basically, it's the equivalent of using RegEdit in Windows. Not hard to do, but not fun. I've also discovered a very neat little program for keeping Ubuntu in tip-top condition called UbuntuTweak. Not too much different from TweakUI for Windows, but with a few more details features that are Ubuntu specific.

Ok. Guilty pleasure time. I've been playing an online role playing game for kids called Wizard101. I thought it was cute and thought I'd give it a try. Now, I'm addicted to it. And it just keeps getting better with new content. I have six student wizards (the maximum amount allowed in an account) and I have been busy leveling them. Interestingly enough, my favorite and most successful wizard is a Life Wizard. She uses spells to heal and revitalize as well as attack opponents. Kind of like a Cleric in Dungeons & Dragons or similar games. She's the only one to reach the current level cap and beat the current penultimate villain. The others are still playing catch up. If you get a chance, you should try it out. It's a different tone than the tense atmosphere of most MMORPG games. The focus is on helping one another to achieve a common goal. Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the player killer mentality in those other games.

So, there you have it. My family is having a reunion this summer. I'm a little nervous as I haven't been in touch with anyone in my family except my big brother. Well, we'll see what happens. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home