e

Friday, July 04, 2003

Independence? Maybe, maybe not...

Once again it's Independence Day. Quite frankly, it doesn't hold that much impact for me. That's not to say I'm unpatriotic, or anything, but let's face it; Independence Day only applies the the racial majority in this country. For African Americans it certainly didn't have any meaning at its inception. Almost one hundred years later at the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation, it still didn't have any significance. Nope, it took another one hundred plus years before African Americans could even begin to be comfortable with a day for independence. Even today, there are those who are disenfranchised. To them, independence is just a word.

Me? I'm happy to say that I am not one of the disenfranchised. I have opportunities my parents and grandparents never had. But the history doesn't change, and the family memories are passed down. I patiently await the day of true independence. For everyone. Until then, happy Fouth of July, everyone.